Friday, February 3, 2012

A "balmy" -12C and SNOW in the city!

Yesterday I decided to bike to my French class because I can kill two birds with one stone.  I get exercise and I'm not contributing to the already nasty pollution/smog in Grenoble.  The class is situated beside the !nuclear reactor! and synchrotron where Jakub works.  It's about a 20 min ride from home and totally do-able, but being practically raised on the West Coast, biking in -2C or lower does take getting used to.  Jack Frost was not only nipping at my nose but also at my toes, fingertips and buttocks, but it was fun.  The Siberian front is heading our
way and we're lucky here in Southern France, since we're receiving only the tail end of it; a "balmy" -12C compared to the -30C in the Eastern block.  We've been hit with snow in the city three days ago and it continues to fall slowly, but surely.  Alas, there are no "snow days" here in Europe when a few centimeters hit the ground; no crippled public transit, school closures, cars in ditches or other such issues.  Life goes on :)  In anticipation of the inclement weather, we have made some improvements to our home insulation.  We've stuffed foam in the chimney, we closed the window shutters, and we got a heating thermostat.  Now it's time to hibernate, see you in a week when I crawl out of bed!




No comments:

Post a Comment